Antique Arms, Armour & Militaria Sale
on Wednesday 4th December 2013
Sunday 1st December 12 noon to 4pm
Monday 2nd December 10am to 7pm
Tuesday 3rd December 10am to 5pm
Lots: 251-300 of 455
Home Page
 
Lot Description and Estimate Images Sold For
251

‡ A .36 CALIBRE AMERICAN PERCUSSION UNDERHAMMER PISTOL, MID-19TH CENTURY
with two-stage rifled sighted barrel, stamped with patterns of flowers over the breech and '100' beneath, engraved tang incorporating the back-sight, under hammer action, and a pair of figured hardwood grips (small cracks) enclosed by a brass back-strap
10.2 cm; 4 in barrel


Estimate: 300-400

550
252

‡ A .36 CALIBRE AMERICAN PERCUSSION UNDERHAMMER PISTOL BY W. ASHTON, MID-19TH CENTURY
with two-stage rifled sighted barrel stamped 'W. Ashton' over the breech, brass tang fitted with back-sight and extending to form the back-strap, underhammer action, and figured walnut grips
13 cm; 5 1/8 in barrel


Estimate: 350-450

500
253

‡ A .41 CALIBRE AMERICAN PERCUSSION POCKET DERINGER, CIRCA 1860
with tapering rifled sighted barrel fitted with German silver fore-sight, inlaid with a pair of gold lines at the breech, stamped 'Deringer Philadela' and stamped with 'P' enclosed by a sunburst, signed tang with back-sight, signed scroll-engraved lock, figured walnut full stock, inlaid with an engraved silver plaque ahead of the lock, chequered butt, engraved silver mounts comprising trigger-guard with pineapple finial, side-plate, vacant escutcheon and a pair of barrel bolt escutcheons, German silver butt-cap with engraved steel trap, and German silver fore-end cap, and some original finish throughout
6.5 cm; 2 1/2 in barrel
Estimate: 800-1000

1100
254

‡ AN 80 BORE AMERICAN RIFLED FLINTLOCK KENTUCKY PISTOL, CIRCA 1830
with octagonal sighted barrel, plain tang, large stepped lock, full stock applied with a silver heart-shaped plaque on each side of the fore-end, a rondel on each side of the butt and an oval escutcheon, brass mounts comprising trigger-guard with near square terminal, side-plate and butt-cap, a pair of moulded ramrod-pipes and brass strip fore-end cap (later ramrod)
13.8cm; 5 3/8in barrel

Estimate: 800-1000

1500
255

‡ A 15 BORE FLINTLOCK WILDFOWLING OR BANK GUN, CIRCA 1740, PROBABLY AMERICAN
with tapering sighted barrel, moulded at the breech and struck with British Birmingham proof marks, grooved tang, rounded lock engraved with border ornament and bold scrolls (worn, patinated), walnut full stock moulded over the fore-end, carved and incised with foliage behind the ramrod-pipe, ahead of the trigger-guard and about the tang (rubbed the fore-end cracked, small chips), brass mounts comprising pierced scrolling side-plate, trigger-guard with moulded bow and shaped finial, butt-plate with pronounced heel, three moulded ramrod-pipes, and wooden ramrod with iron worm and brass tip
153 cm; 60 1/4 in barrel
Estimate: 2500-3500

5500
256

‡ A .500 CALIBRE NEW ENGLAND FLINTLOCK RIFLE BY EDMUND BEMIS, CIRCA 1770
with tapering sighted barrel rifled with seven grooves, signed on a long flat and fitted with standing back-sight, stamped 'EB' on the left of the breech, bevelled lock stamped 'EB', full stock carved with a moulding over the fore-end (cracked through and repaired), carved with a moulding behind the rear ramrod-pipe and about the tang, iron mounts comprising trigger-guard with finial of shaped outline, stepped solid side-plate, butt-plate en suite with the trigger-guard and six ramrod-pipes, vacant silver escutcheon, iron fore-end cap, and associated ramrod
126.4 cm; 49 3/4 in barrel

Edmund Bemis is recorded circa 1720-1810 in Boston, Massachusetts.
Estimate: 1500-2000

1500
257

‡ A 28 BORE AMERICAN PERCUSSION GUN, EARLY 19TH CENTURY
converted from flintlock, with octagonal sighted barrel, grooved tang, engraved stepped lock decorated with linear patterns and ears of corn, hardwood full stock, brass mounts comprising trigger-guard decorated with a flower on the bow and with stylised acorn finial, two-piece side-plate, butt-cap (holed), three ramrod-pipes (the fourth missing), brass fore-end cap, silver escutcheon, and later ramrod
122 cm; 48 in barrel
Estimate: 500-700

    
258

‡ A FLINTLOCK BLUNDERBUSS BY T. JORDAN, THE LOCK DATED 1757
with brass barrel formed in four stages, stamped with London proof marks and the barrelsmiths mark, 'RW' beneath an eight-point star perhaps for Richard (1) Wilson, over the breech, signed military lock engraved with border ornament, 'GR' crowned, and the date (pitted), figured walnut stock (cracks and repairs, the last portion of the fore-end replaced), brass mounts of regulation type comprising flush fitting side-plate, trigger-guard with bulbous finial, butt-plate and a single ramrod-pipe, and later ramrod
40.5 cm; 16 in barrel
Estimate: 1200-1800

1400
259

‡ A FLINTLOCK BLUNDERBUSS BY BARBAR, PROBABLY JAMES (1), CIRCA 1760
with swamped steel barrel, moulded at the breech, struck with London proof marks and the barrelsmith's mark (rubbed), signed rounded lock, the base of the cock cut for a dog safety-catch (added in its working life, now missing), figured walnut full stock (cracked ahead of the trigger-guard), brass mounts comprising pierced strapwork side-plate, trigger-guard with bud-shaped finial, butt-plate with tang of shaped outline, moulded ramrod-pipe, vacant escutcheon, steel sling swivels, and brass-tipped wooden ramrod
40.5 cm; 16 in barrel
Estimate: 1000-1500

1400
260

‡ A FLINTLOCK TURNPIKE GUN, EARLY 18TH CENTURY, THE BARREL SIGNED JOHN SMART
with brass barrel formed in two stages, swelling towards the muzzle and with a raised band behind, inscribed 'John Smart att Londine Fecit 1710' (later), struck with London proof marks and the barrelsmith's mark of Thomas (1) Hawley, incorporating a raised belt cut for the back-sight, iron tang, flat lock retained by three screws, stamped with the letters 'M' above 'RX' in a trefoil on the inside, full stock (areas of worm) carved about the ramrod aperture, iron trigger-guard, a single brass ramrod-pipe, and later ramrod
72 cm; 28 3/8 in barrel

John Smart was made Free of the Gunmaker's Compnay by patrimony in 1705, presented his proof piece 1707 and is recorded as gunmaker 'against Norfolk Street in the Strand' circa 1715. Thomas (1) Hawley is recorded as gunmaker to Ordnance, circa 1682-1707.
Estimate: 2000-2500

2000
261

‡ A RARE 25 BORE ENGLISH FLINTLOCK BREECH-LOADING REPEATING MAGAZINE GUN ON THE LORENZONI PRINCIPLE, CIRCA 1690
with three-stage barrel formed with a pronounced octagonal moulding incorporating a silver fore-sight at the muzzle, etched with foliage (previously damascened) behind, faceted breech retaining traces of damascened ornament including leafy foliage, grooved for sighting and fitted with rotating brass breech block operated by a moulded lever on the left, the tang damascened with a green man mask, rounded lock engraved in the French taste with a scroll inscribed 'God save the King' carried by a cherub, fitted with engraved cock decorated with a serpent and foliage (top-jaw and screw replaced), powder magazine with engraved cover, the opposite side of the lock with a trap door for the ball magazine figured walnut half-stock (a working replacement) carved with a moulding about the tang, moulded iron trigger-guard damascened en suite with the breech, and iron butt-cap (patch box cover replaced)
67.5 cm; 26 ˝ in barrel

The present system is named after the Florentine gunsmith Michelle Lorenzoni though there is no evidence to suggest that he was the inventor of it. This system seems to have enjoyed some popularity in England, as evidenced by the frequently quoted text of Samuel Pepys who wrote on 3rd July 1662 'A gun to discharge seven times, the best of all devices I ever saw, and very serviceable, and not a bauble; for it is much approved of, and many made thereof'. However, given the design it is likely that a number of the powder magazines exploded thus accounting for the rarity of such arms today. For an account of Lorenzoni see J. F. Hayward 1963, pp. 141-143.

Estimate: 12000-18000

    
262

‡ A .700 CALIBRE FRENCH FLINTLOCK MUSKET SIGNED LE CLERT A DIEPPE, CIRCA 1750
with sighted barrel formed in three stages, signed bevelled lock retained by three side nails, fitted with flat cock and bevelled pan, full stock carved with a moulding about the rear ramrod-pipe and the tang, thick butt carved with a moulding at the bottom on each side, iron mounts including solid side-plate, moulded trigger-guard, butt-plate with terminal of shaped outline, and four ramrod-pipes, steel fore-end cap and associated wooden ramrod
120.3 cm; 40 3/8 in barrel
Estimate: 1500-2500

1050
263

‡ A 10 BORE GERMAN MATCHLOCK MUSKET, SECOND QUARTER OF THE 17TH CENTURY, WITH LATER DECORATED STOCK
with sighted barrel formed in three stages, stamped with proof marks (indistinct) over the breech and fitted with integral pan (cover hinge torn), flat lock fitted with shaped serpentine (thumbscrew missing), full stock (wormed), profusely inlaid with numerous engraved staghorn plaques decorated with conventional flowers and foliage, fishtail butt decorated with a huntsman and hound in pursuit of a fox on the each side and a bouquet above, iron mounts comprising trigger-guard, butt-plate ramrod-pipe and fore-end cap of military type, and wooden ramrod painted with the inventory number 'M.959.1928'
118 cm; 46 ˝ in barrel



Estimate: 2000-3000

1400
264

‡ A FINE SILESIAN WHEEL-LOCK BIRDING RIFLE (TSCHINKE), DATED 1677
with octagonal swamped sighted barrel rifled with six narrow grooves, punched with a star-shaped design at the muzzle, signed by the barrel smith 'AK' and dated over the breech, angular tang engraved with the letter 'L', engraved flat lock of characteristic form, decorated with bold scrolls, fitted with external wheel retained by a bracket, engraved flash-guard, engraved dog, engraved pan-cover with button release, and applied with engraved brass plaques over the wheel bracket, the main spring and the dog spring, fruitwood full stock profusely inlaid with engraved staghorn plaques including hounds, rabbits and ball flowers amongst scrolling staghorn tendrils enriched with ball flowers and pellets, all between staghorn lines (the inlay with minor restorations and small losses), the underside of the stock decorated with further designs including a stag and a wild boar, butt of characteristic form inlaid en suite including a unicorn on the cheek-piece and with patchbox with sliding cover, iron trigger-guard shaped for the fingers, engraved horn butt-cap decorated with a rabbit, engraved staghorn ramrod-pipe, engraved staghorn fore-end cap, and associated ramrod
95.5 cm; 37 5/8 in barrel

Estimate: 6000-8000

13000
265

A VICTORIAN OFFICER'S UNIFORM OF THE BOMBAY VOLUNTEER RIFLES CIRCA 1900
scarlet tunic with blue cloth collar and cuffs, the collar edged with silver "Vellum" lace and braid, with white metal bugle-horn collar-badges. The fronts edged with silver Russia braid. Pointed cuffs edged with a double row of silver lace, traced with Russia forming an Austrian knot above and crowsfoot below. White metal buttons with regimental title and bugle-horn below the Imperial crown. Twisted silver shoulder-cords bearing two stars in silver embroidery; a scarlet "Torin" pattern field cap with blue crown and flaps, silver braid edging and badge of the Imperial crown above 'BVR' in silver embroidery; a paper label inscribed ' F W English'; a white enamelled leather shoulder belt with whistle-holder, lion's head chain-boss and magnificent plate, bearing a Guelphic crown above the Star of India within a voided strap inscribed with regimental title surrounded by a laurel wreath, all in white metal (whistle and chains missing); with its black leather pouch, the flap bearing initials 'BVR' in script; and companion waistbelt and sword-slings, with white metal snake-clasp
(4)


Estimate: 300-400

420
266

AN OFFICER'S UNIFORM OF THE MADRAS MEDICAL SERVICE CIRCA 1900 BY HOBSON & SONS, LEXINGTON STREET
Blue Full Dress tunic, edged with scarlet piping, with black velvet facings. Gold "Staff" lace to collar and pointed cuffs. Twisted gold shoulder-cords bearing Colonel's KC rank-badges. Richly-gilt buttons bearing QVC above star and circlet inscribed 'MADRAS MEDICAL SERVICE'. Label in lining to Lt Col W Molesworth; a mess jacket by same maker, with black velvet upright collar and cuffs, edged all round with gold lace, gilt studs to front and twisted shoulder-cords bearing KC in embroidery; companion scarlet waistcoat, with high collar, studs to front, and gold Russia edging and pocket-ornamentation; a blue double-breasted greatcoat with black velvet stand-and-fall collar and scarlet lining. Six buttons in each row in front, short belt and skirt-slashes to back and metal rank-badges to shoulder-straps (one button and some rank-badges missing, minor moth); a short blue cape with leather strap fastening to collar and four small gilt buttons to front; a black leather waistbelt with double stripe of gold embroidery, the outer element of the circular clasp bearing laurel leaves, the inner part mounted with QVC royal crest in white metal, the belt complete with matching sword-slings, and with rings for sabretache-slings (sabretache-slings not present); a companion black leather pouch belt with triple row of gold embroidery and ornate brass (originally gilt) buckle, tip and slide, companion folding pouch with gold-embroidered black leather flap bearing gilt 'VRI' in script below QVC (pocket missing); another pouch belt, similar to previous item, but with more substantial pouch, the flap mounted with the Imperial crown above 'VRI'; and a pair of khaki drill shoulder-straps, fitted with brass King's crowns.
(9)

Estimate: 200-300

300
267

OFFICERS' FULL DRESS UNIFORMS OF THE CHARKHARI ARMY 1931
double-breasted scarlet tunic by Ranken, Calcutta &c, named to Colonel DM Singh and dated 28/8/31. Dark green cloth facings and white piped edging, turned down collar edged with gold Russia braid, round cuffs with a double row of "Vellum" pattern lace, traced with Russia forming eyes above and an Austrian knot. Gilt buttons of exceptional quality, mounted with the Arms of Charkhari, to front and back-skirts. (Shoulder-cords absent, 4 buttons missing); another scarlet tunic, also by Ranken, named to Capt Govid Singh and dated 24/9/31, similar to previous item, but single-breasted with seven magnificent gilt buttons in front, mounted with the State Arms in white metal. Twisted gold shoulder-cords, fitted with Major's crowns in gilt metal; a pair of dark green cavalry twill overalls, with wide crimson stripe, to same owner; a scarlet tunic by Simpsons of 63 South Audley St, with upright blue collar, gauntlet cuffs, shoulder-straps and narrow plastron, all edged with gold Staff pattern lace. Brass buttons, bearing the Arms of Bahawlpur. The plastron bearing a coronet above letter 'A' reversed and intertwined, all in gold embroidery, rank-badges removed; and breeches of blue cloth, by same maker, dated 6/5/37, with double stripe of narrow gold lace on each side, showing a scarlet light between the rows (5)

The state of Charkhari, now part of Uttar Pradesh, was formed in 1765. It earned the gratitude of the British Raj by its support during the Indian Mutiny of 1857, but had no State Forces as such, its army consisting of one squadron of cavalry and a company of infantry. It has been suggested that the uniforms offered here were made for the Maharajah's ADCs on the occasion of his third marriage in 1931. His bride was the daughter of HH Sri Tin Mohun Shumshere Jung Bahadur Rana of Nepal, which might perhaps account for the turned-down collars on the tunics, a feature of contemporary Nepalese uniforms.
Estimate: 120-180

110
268

AN INDIAN ARMY OFFICER'S MESS DRESS OF THE 8TH GURKHA RIFLES BY FLIGHTS 4 NEW BURLINGTON ST, LONDON
black cloth jacket with tailor's label named to Captain G Twiss, and dated 16/12/35 black velvet upright collar and cuffs, edged with black mohair braid, five loops of black cord each side in front, with two olivets on each loop, black braid figured decoration to collar and cuffs, shoulder-cords of plaited black chain-gimp (rank-stars absent); companion black waistcoat, edged with two rows of black gimp separated by a row of black Russia braid eyes; and a pair of black barathea overalls with wide black braid stripes
(3)
Estimate: 120-180

130
269

AN INDIAN ARMY OFFICER'S SWORD OF THE BENGAL ARTILLERY BY HENRY WILKINSON, PALL MALL
with slightly-curved fullered blade etched with scrolling foliage, QVC, HEIC Lion, Thunderbolt, Gun between scrolls inscribed 'BENGAL ARTILLERY' and 'UBIQUE' (maker's serial number illegible), steel three-bar guard and wire-bound fishskin grip, in its steel scabbard (minor spotting to blade, discolouration to guard and scabbard)
82.5cm; 32 ˝ in blade
Estimate: 120-180

550
270

A COLLECTION OF MILITARY BADGES
Approximately 210 items, mainly ORs' metal cap-badges of British Army regiments, some anodised, mounted on boards


Estimate: 200-300

320
271

A VICTORIAN INFANTRY OFFICER'S LEVEE DRESS ACCOUTREMENTS CIRCA 1900
A fitted metal case containing a gold-laced waist belt and slings, the gilt clasp bearing the Royal Crest in white metal; gold and crimson striped shoulder-sash; a pair of brass swan-necked box-spurs; a pair of twisted gold shoulder-cords bearing Colonel's rank-badges in silver embroidery (one lacking button); and a pair of plaited and winged gold shoulder-cords with gilt buttons of the 12th Madras Regiment
Estimate: 80-120

240
272

A VICTORIAN OFFICER'S DIRK BELT OF THE 91ST ( PRINCESS LOUISE'S ARGYLLSHIRE) HIGHLANDERS CIRCA 1870
brown leather 1 ˝ in wide, probably for an auxiliary battalion, embroidered with silver thistles and edging. Three-part clasp formed of oblong burnished white metal plates with gilt metal mounts, the outer ones bearing the coronet and cypher of Princess Louise, the centre one with finely engraved borders and with 'NE OBLIVISCARIS' scroll above the Boar's Head and 'XCI'.

Estimate: 120-180

900
273

A COATEE AND WAISTCOAT OF THE LONDON SCOTTISH
the coatee to GLC Bell 1938 with the rank of corporal, complete with waistcoat
Estimate: 60-80

    
274

A PAIR OF HOGSPEARS CIRCA 1900
Two-piece bamboo shafts with polished steel spikes of concave triangular cross-section, steel butts stamped 'FAW/FA/10.04', plaited leather collars below spikes, and leather carrying-slings.
199cm/78in overall, spikes 27cm/10 ˝ in
(2)

Estimate: 200-300

180
275

GH ELVIN
INDIAN MUTINY
oil on canvas, signed in paint. Inscribed in an old label on reverse: "Indian Mutiny/General ? attacked by sepoys in the ? Pass, Delhi"
Depicting a mounted European officer in scarlet uniform, engaging a group of mutineers with his revolver. The dark blue uniforms of the enemy suggest that they are gunners rather than cavalrymen (unframed. Some damage)
40cm x 56cm;16in x 22in

Estimate: 40-60

220
276

JC STADLER
NATIVE TROOPS IN THE EAST INDIA COMPANY'S SERVICE
aquatint, London, Published March 1st 1815 by Colnaghi & Co, 23 Cockspur Street.
Depicting mounted sowars of the Governor General's Body Guard and the Bengal Regular Cavalry, with a sepoy of the Java Volunteers
33cm x 26cm;13in x 10in, in glazed frame

Note: This is No.51 of a series of 60 prints entitled Costume of the Army of the British Empire, according to the Last Regulations, 1812. The entire series was designed and drawn by Charles Hamilton Smith, described as an Officer on the Staff.
Estimate: 80-120

    
277

RM BRYSON AFTER CAPTAIN GF ATKINSON
MUTINEERS SURPRISED BY HER MAJESTY'S 9TH LANCERS
aquatint, London. Published Day & Son, Lithographers to the Queen, Gate St, Lincoln's Inn Fields
Depicting a troop of lancers (incorrectly dressed in scarlet jackets) attacking a group of armed mutineers around a bullock cart
31cm x 45cm; 12in x 17 ˝in
Estimate: 40-60

30
278

A CONTINENTAL BREAST PLATE AND A HELMET, LATE 19TH/EARLY 20TH CENTURY
the breastplate formed with a low medial ridge, studded around the border with low domed brass rivets, a pair of matching studs for shoulder straps, and the principle borders with brass edging, the helmet of black leather, fitted with a pair of lion mask bosses, brass peak, and leather chin-strap
the first: 45 cm; 17 3/4 in high


Estimate: 200-300

150
279

A MUGHAL INDIAN MAIL SHIRT, 18TH/19TH CENTURY
formed entirely of riveted oval rings of oval-section wire, with a square neck-opening, an overlapped fastening at the right of the chest secured by leather laces (replaced), sleeves extending to just below the level of the elbows, and a lower edge formed with a short split at its centre front and a projecting cusp at its centre rear (with some holing and losses at the edges, and patinated overall); and mounted on a fabric covered dummy supported on a circular base
85.0 cm; 33˝ in


Estimate: 400-600

    
280

A SPEAR, 18TH/19TH CENTURY, PROBABLY INDIAN
with leaf-shaped head moulded at the base, tapering socket, on a wooden haft
46 cm; 18 1/8 in head
Estimate: 100-150

90
281

A DETACHED BLADE FROM A HUNTING SWORD, MID-18TH CENTURY
with tapering blade double-edged towards the point, etched within a long fuller on each face with scenes from the chase including hounds in pursuit of boar in an enclosure, and the ricasso decorated with scrollwork (pitted)
50 cm; 19 3/4 in blade
Estimate: 100-150

    
282

A LATE MEDIEVAL SWORD, FIRST HALF OF THE 15TH CENTURY
with sharply tapering blade of flattened-hexagonal section, with traces of a brass inlaid mark on each side of the forte, iron hilt comprising slightly arched quillons of circular section, faceted plummet-shaped pommel of Oakeshott type T, wooden grip with an early leather binding, and in unexcavated pitted condition, indicative of a tomb find
80.5cm; 31 3/4 in blade

Provenance
Sotheby's, London, 1st November 1983, lot 105

Literature
Ewart Oakeshott, Records of the Medieval Sword, Woodbridge 1991, p. 224, illustrated.

A sword found in the River Thames and with a pommel and blade of similar type is preserved in the Royal Armouries, Leeds. See A. R. Dufty p. 15, plate 5a.
Estimate: 4000-5000

6500
283

A FINE LEFT-HAND DAGGER, 17TH CENTURY, POSSIBLY MILANESE
with tapering double-edged blade, almost certainly from a contemporary rapier, formed in three stages and tapering to a sharp point, the lower section cut with a pair of fullers on each face, etched and gilt with the inscription 'Fide Sed Ante/Vide Cui' and 'Veritatem Dilige' on a blued panel and decorated with further gold scrollwork and cabalistic letters, tapering ricasso decorated en suite with a classical warrior on one side and a vacant shield on the other, gilt iron hilt comprising a pair of faceted quillons tapering towards the terminals, ring-guard formed en suite, faceted pommel, later grip and retaining much original finish throughout
37 cm; 14 ˝ in blade

Provenance
Sotheby's, New York, 23rd November 1988, lot 487

Estimate: 1200-1800

3500
284

A NORTH EUROPEAN BROADSWORD, LAST QUARTER OF THE 16TH CENTURY, PROBABLY BRUNSWICK
with tapering double-edged blade of flattened-diamond section, iron hilt of rounded bars, comprising a pair of vertically recurved quillons with chequered barrel-shaped terminals, knuckle-guard interrupted by a further barrel-shaped moulding, large scalloped frontal-guard joined to the knuckle-guard by an s-shaped bar formed en suite, a single arm joined to the inner ring-guard, the latter incorporating a thumb-loop and joined to the knuckle-guard by a bifurcated bar, mushroom-shaped pommel cut with chequering en suite with the quillons (areas of pitting throughout), and later leather-covered grip
99 cm; 39 in blade

Estimate: 1000-1500

1200
285

A NORTH EUROPEAN PAPPENHEIM RAPIER, SECOND QUARTER OF THE 17TH CENTURY
with slender blade formed in two-stages (the tip shortened), the upper portion of flattened-hexagonal section and the lower cut with a series of slots and slipped circles within two narrow fullers, rectangular ricasso partly enclosed by an associated large gilt collar, iron hilt of flattened bars, comprising a pair of vertically recurved quillons swelling at the terminals, inner and outer ring-guards each filled with a pierced sprung-in plate (one replaced) and joined to the quillons by a further pair of bars, knuckle-guard interrupted by a moulding and joined to the rings by a single bar front and rear, a pair of arms, faceted plummet-shaped pommel, spirally moulded grip bound with plaited wire and 'Turk's heads' and with some early gilded finish throughout
98 cm; 38 ˝ in blade

A sword of similar form is preserved in the Museo Poldi Pezzoli, Milan. See L. G. Boccia and E. T. Coelho 1975, no. 566, 567.

Estimate: 2500-3500

3000
286

A 1796 PATTERN HEAVY CAVALRY TROOPER'S SWORD
of regulation type (blade shortened), iron hilt (langets removed, back-strap rivet missing, pitted), and banded grip
50cm; 19 3/4in blade

Estimate: 100-150

90
287

A GERMAN SPEAR, LATE 15TH/16TH CENTURY
with tapering blade of hollow-diamond section, and faceted socket, pierced at the base (pitted)
30 cm; 11 7/8 in overall

Provenance
Ewart Oakeshott
Estimate: 500-700

450
288

AN AXE, 19TH CENTURY
of goose-wing form, with flattened inner face, the outer face stepped, stamped with a mark and with a flattened rear edge, and short socket
35 cm; 13 3/4in high


Estimate: 200-300

200
289

A PAIR OF VAMBRACES IN THE LATE 15TH CENTURY GERMAN STYLE, 20TH CENTURY; A PAIR OF POLEYNS IN THE EARLY 16TH CENTURY GERMAN STYLE, 20TH CENTURY; AND A QUANTITY OF FURTHER PIECES OF ARMOUR, 19TH AND 20TH CENTURIES
the first formed in each case of an upper cannon and a large one-piece couter, both open at the rear and linked to one another by internal leathers, the former fitted at its upper edge with a turning-pin to connect it to a pauldron and decorated at its inside with three curved flutes, and the latter shaped to the point of the elbow and formed above and below it with rounded wings; the second formed in each case of three lames decorated with fluting in the 'Maximilian' fashion, the central and main lame shaped to the point of the knee and formed with a centrally-puckered wing decorated around its edge with a roped turn accompanied by a recessed border; the third comprising four pieces of armour and a large quantity of straps, rivets and washers of various designs
Estimate: 200-300

550
290

A PAIR OF VAMBRACES IN THE EARLY 17TH CENTURY EUROPEAN STYLE, 19TH CENTURY; A FRAGMENT OF A BREASTPLATE OF ANIME CONSTRUCTION, PROBABLY EASTERN EUROPEAN, CIRCA 1600; A GERMAN SPAUDLER FOR THE LEFT SHOULDER, EARLY 17TH CENTURY; AND NINETEEN FURTHER PIECES OF ARMOUR, 16TH TO 20TH CENTURIES
the first formed in each case of a tubular upper cannon surmounted by a turner and articulated at its lower end by a winged bracelet couter of three lames to a tubular lower cannon opening at its front, the main edges of all parts formed with plain inward turns accompanied on the wing of the couter by a double recessed border, and decorated overall on a blued ground with gold-painted lines and scrolls (of which only traces remain; the remainder extensively oxidised); the second formed of two medially-ridge upward overlapping lames of notable thickness with strongly bevelled edges; the third, from an 'Almain' collar, formed of five downward-overlapping lames, extending down to just above the elbow, and retaining traces of a black from the hammer finish (now much rubbed)' and the fourth including parts of vambraces, faulds and tassets (some partly or wholly oxidised)
Estimate: 300-500

300
291

A GERMAN HALBERD, SECOND HALF OF THE 16TH CENTURY
with forward leaning axe-blade pierced with three holes, robust central spike formed in two stages, rear fluke with reinforced tip, a pair of long straps, on an early wooden haft
51 cm; 20 1/8 in head
Estimate: 400-600

650
292

A BILL, 17TH CENTURY, POSSIBLY WELSH
with curved blade formed with two short lugs at the rear (the central lug missing), moulded socket fitted with a pierced 'bird-cage' moulding, long tapering openwork socket, on a later wooden haft
77 cm; 30 1/2 in head

For a discussion of Welsh bills and glaives see C. Blair 1998, pp. 71-85.


Estimate: 300-500

300
293

A GERMAN HALBERD, SECOND HALF OF THE 16TH CENTURY
with forward leaning axe-blade, robust central spike of diamond section, rear pean formed with a scalloped moulding beneath, and a pair of straps (one broken), on a wooden haft
50 cm; 19 3/4 in head

Estimate: 300-500

800
294

AN ENGLISH OR FLEMISH CLOSE HELMET, EARLY 16TH CENTURY
with rounded one-piece skull rising to a low medial comb pierced at its apex with a small circular hole, and fitted at the nape, on a short projecting stem, with a radially-fluted roundel, 'sparrow's beak' visor and bevor attached to the skull by common pivots, the former pierced beneath its broad stepped vision-slit with circular ventilation-holes and fitted at its right side with a lifting-peg, and two gorget-plates front and rear, the lowest in each case formed with a plain angular inward turn accompanied by a recessed border (the upper and lower edges of the visor, the pivots, the lifting-peg , the roundel and the gorget-plates restored, the skull with minor perforations and internal patches at the nape and the forward end of the comb, and the whole moderately pitted overall)
32.5 cm; 12˝ in

Provenance
Eric Valentine, New Moston, Manchester

Literature
Edward Perry, 'Some Exhibits from the Northern Branch Exhibition of 1963', Journal of the Arms and Armour Society, Vol. IV, no. 8, December 1963, p. 143, pl. XLI,A.

The helmet owes its survival to having been suspended over a knightly tomb in an English church as part of an heraldic achievement. Other helmets of this type are discussed and illustrated by G. Laking 1920, vol. 2, pp. 91-4, figs 445-6.

Estimate: 5000-7000

4500
295

A COMPOSITE SOUTH GERMAN INFANTRY ARMOUR, PARTLY NUREMBERG, CIRCA 1540-50
comprising burgonet with rounded one-piece skull rising to a low medial comb and fitted at the brow with a broad rounded pivoted peak, at the nape with a neck-guard of two lames and at each side with a hinged cheek-piece (the skull that of an earlier close helmet, and the remainder restored), collar (originally of 'Almain' type), of three lames front and rear, the lowest front one struck with the quality-control mark of the city of Nuremberg and the mark of the Vienna city arsenal (the lowest rear plate patched at its right corner), breastplate formed of a medially-ridged main plate projecting forward over the belly, fitted at its arm-openings with moveable gussets (the left restored), and at its flanged lower edge with a fauld of four lames, the lowest of which is cut over the crotch with a broad shallow notch and supports to either side of it, on replaced straps and buckles a pair of long tassets each of seven lames extending to just above the knee (the first in each case associated), one-piece backplate flanged outwards at its lower edge to receive a culet of one lame (associated), and a pair of spaudlers each of seven lames (the second to sixth restored), extending to the elbows, the main edges of the armour formed with inward turns boldly roped, except in the case of the burgonet, and accompanied by recessed borders, and the subsidiary edges in part decorated with single incised lines (lightly patinated overall)

Provenance
Dr John F. Hayward, London, sold Sotheby's, London, 1 November 1983, lot 27 (collar, cuirass and tassets)
Estimate: 6000-8000

5000
296

A POLISH HUSSAR'S BREASTPLATE, EARLY 18TH CENTURY
of shot-proof weight, formed of a main plate and a waist-plate, both medially-ridged and joined to one another at each side by a large rounded-headed rivet, the main plate cut with a deep narrow neck-opening and deep arm-openings, each formed with outward-flanged edges bordered by round-headed lining rivets, the left of the plate struck with the proof-mark of a bullet, and its centre and sides pieced with rivet-holes probably for the attachment of decorative plaques, the deep waist-plate fitted at its left with a belt-hook, decorated at its bevelled upper edge with notching and formed at its lower edged with a short flange interrupted at its centre by a shallow notch and fitted with lining-rivets matching those of the main plate, the inside of the main plate struck at its lower edge with the crowned monogram AR, and the insides of both plates struck with matching construction marks formed of punched dots and incised Xs (lightly pitted overall with some deeper marks at points)
94.5 cm; 19˝ in

The breastplate can be compared with one in the Polish Army Museum struck with the same crowned monogram and bearing the badge of the Radziwill Regiment (Zladisław Żygulski, Stara Broń w Polskich Zbiorach, Warsaw. 1982, p. 38 pl. 25). The crowned AR presumably relates to either Augustus II (1697-1706) or Augustus III (1709-33) of Poland.
Estimate: 2000-3000

8500
297

THE SKULL OF A GERMAN BURGONET, CIRCA 1540
formed in one piece with a broad rounded top and a short flange-like 'tail' at the nape, the edges of the tail and brow formed with plain outward turns, and each side cut away to receive a missing hinged cheek-piece, the proximal end of the right hinge surviving (heavily pitted and patinated overall with extensive perforations and losses)
16.0 cm; 6Ľ in

Provenance
Groombridge Place, sold Sotheby's 16th September 1992, lot 586

The skull possibly reworked from an 'archers' sallet of about 1500.
Estimate: 400-600

350
298

THE MAIN PLATE OF A FLEMISH PAULDRON FOR THE RIGHT SHOULDER, EARLY 16TH CENTURY
decorated at the top of its deep rear wing with a spray of three cascaded flutes and at the top of its truncated front wing with a step (heavily pitted and patinated overall with some losses and minor perforations)
15.8 cm; 6Ľ in

Provenance
Believed to have come from the armoury of the Knights of St John at Rhodes, which fell to the Turks in 1522 (Karcheski & Richardson 2000).

A pair of pauldrons of similar design form part of an armour of about 1510-5 formerly in the Imperial Armoury in Vienna, and now in the Hungarian National Museum, Budapest, which bears the mark of the Brussels armourer Guillem Margot (Blair 1965, p.37, pl. XIV, a & b). Others are to be seen in the Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds.

Estimate: 250-300

200
299

A GERMAN COUTER FROM AN ALMAIN RIVET, EARLY 16TH CENTURY
gently shaped to the front and point of the elbow, narrowing towards its inside and fitted with straps and buckles (replaced) to connect it to the upper and lower cannons and fasten it around the arm (lightly pitted overall with some rust-spots)
5.0 cm; 6 in

The couter is from the characteristic 'splint' or arm-defence of a type of infantry armour known as an 'Almain rivet'.
Estimate: 200-250

150
300

AN ITALIAN PLACKART IN THE GERMAN FASHION, LATE 15TH CENTURY
of medially-ridged, sub-triangular form, pierced at it's apex with a rivet-hole to articulate it to the breastplate proper and formed at its lower edge with a short flange similarly pieced to receive a fauld (heavily pitted and patinated overall with some losses and minor perforations, slightly trimmed at its upper edge and fitted with four riveted internal patches)
25.5 cm; 10 in

Provenance
Believed to have come from the armoury of the Knights of St John at Rhodes, which fell to the Turks in 1522.

Similar plackarts from the armoury at Rhodes are to be found in the Museum of the Order of St John, London, and the J. W. Higgins Armory Museum, Worcester, Massachussets (Karcheski & Richardson 2000, pp. 59-61).

Estimate: 500-700

800
 
Home Page